N845, N846, N847, N864 Series: Using Person, Vehicle, and Animal Detection (New Local UI)
The following article provides instructions for using smart motion to detect person, vehicle, or animals on your wired IP deterrence cameras.
The system supports detection of people and vehicles with compatible IP cameras only. This helps deliver more relevant notifications when using the Lorex App for remote viewing. You can also link warning light deterrence to person, vehicle, or animal detection on compatible Lorex deterrence cameras for an added level of smart security.
Person, Vehicle, and Animal Detection is compatible with certain Lorex IP cameras. For a complete list of compatible cameras, navigate to your recorder series at lorex.com/compatibility.
Ensuring Person, Vehicle, and Animal Detection Accuracy
The optimal installation location including height, distance, and angle for your camera will depend on the type of smart motion detection settings that you want to use. Refer to the article Smart Motion Detection Camera Placement Tips for details.
Using Person, Vehicle, and Animal Detection
Adjust preferences for person, vehicle, and/or animal detection per channel.
- From the Live View display, right-click to open the Quick Menu, then click Main Menu.
- Click Events, then Event Settings. Click the Smart Motion tab from the side panel.
- Select a channel with a compatible camera you would like to configure smart motion detection.
- Check to enable the smart motion detection rules that you want to use.
- Set a name for the rule by double-clicking the mouse over the Name of the rule.
- Select between Person, Vehicle, or Animal detection types.
- Click the drawing icon and customize the active area for smart motion detection:
- Action: Check Appear to detect if an object of interest appears in the defined area. Check Cross to detect if an object of interest enters or exits the defined area. Check both to enable each type of action.
- Direction: Determine which direction an object needs to travel in order to trigger automatic deterrence. You can select Enter for movement entering the defined area, or Leave for movement exiting the defined area, or Both for both types of directions.
- To draw, click-and-drag the corners of the yellow box to resize the area. For most accurate results, set an area where objects of interest will move within the bounding box as well as into/out of.
- Click OK when finished.
- Click the trigger modifying icon to adjust how the system will react to smart motion detection.
- Click Set next to Schedule to choose which days and times of the week to enable smart motion detection:
- Click or click-and-drag along each of the red timelines to quickly add or remove time from each day’s schedule in 30–minute segments.
- Click beside 2 or more days to link schedules (). This allows you to quickly change multiple schedules at once.
- To make fine adjustments to a schedule, click . This will allow you to set exact start and end times for a schedule.
- Choose how the system will react to smart motion detection:
- Record Channel: Select the channels that will record when smart motion is detected on the selected channel. Set the length of recording following a smart motion detection event in the Post_REC field.
- Send Email: Check to enable email alerts. You must configure email alerts before you will be able to receive them.
- PTZ Activation: Set connected PTZ cameras to start a tour, pattern, or go to a preset location.
- Sequence: Sequence mode will begin. Select the numbered tiles next to this option to include the corresponding channels in the sequence.
- Buzzer: Check to enable the system buzzer.
- Camera Light: Check to enable warning light. Click Set to change the warning light mode to Strobe or choose how long the warning light will stay on following a smart motion detection event.
- Camera Audio: Check to enable voice prompts. Click Set to select a pre-recorded voice message or alarm sound. Choose how many times the prompt will play following a smart motion detection event.
- Smart Light: Check to enable Smart Security Lighting™. Click Set to select a custom color or choose how long the light will stay on following a smart motion detection event. Click on the red color box to open the custom color settings.
- Click OK, click OK again.
- Click Apply to save changes.
- Click Add to create additional active areas for smart motion detection on the selected channel.
Searching for Person, Vehicle, and Animal Detection (Smart Search)
Smart Search lets you filter recorded video to search for person detection events, vehicle detection events, animal detection events or all three.
- From the Live View display, right-click to open the Quick Menu, then click Smart Search.
- Click the Smart Motion tab from the side panel.
- Select a channel to search for detection events from, or select All.
- Enter a start and end time for your search.
- Select the type of smart motion detection for your search, or select All.
- Click Search.
- Events that match your search criteria are displayed. You now have the following options:
- Click a thumbnail to preview the event. Double-click the preview window to view in full screen.
- Check thumbnails to perform other actions:
- Backup: Back up events.
- Lock: Lock events.
- Add Book Mark: Bookmark events.
For detailed instructions on configuring your system, refer to your recorder's Series Manual on the product support page. Visit help.lorextechnology.com and search your recorder's model number.